Take a look at our Year 5 curriculum:
Number and place value
- Numbers to 1 000 000
- Roman numerals
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Word problems
Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Properties of shapes: geometry
- Position and direction: position and movement
- Area and perimeter
- Significant author: Michael Morpugo
- Instructions: How to have fun
- Poetic style: Poet with a passion
- Traditional stories, myths and legends: Monsters and myths
- Recounts and new reports: Daring adventures
- Classic and narrative poetry: Tales in a verse
- Plays and scripts: Acting up
- Persuasive writing: The art of persuasion
- Film narrative: Moving pictures
- Stories from other cultures: Caribbean tale
- Older literature: Classic stories
- Choral and performance poetry: Speaking aloud
Unit 1 – Life Cycle of Flowering Plants
- Habitats and Microhabitats.
- Parts of a Plant.
- Reproduction in Plants.
- Parts of a flower.
- Pollination – Fertilisation – Seed dispersal – Germination.
- Life cycle diagrams.
Unit 2 – Characteristics of Plants
- Germination of seeds.
- Factors affecting germination.
- Stem, roots and leaves.
- Factors affecting growth.
Unit 3 – States of Matter
- Solids, liquids, gases.
- Change of State.
- Evaporation and condensation.
- Water Vapour.
- Solutions – Dissolving and separation.
- Factors affecting solution.
- Water Cycle.
Unit 4 – The way we see things
- Light sources.
- Uses of light.
- Intensity of light.
- Light travels.
- Your eyes.
Unit 5 – Shadows
- How are shadows formed?
- Shadow puppets.
- Materials and light.
- Changing shadows.
- Sun and shadows.
Unit 6 – Earth and Beyond
- Earth’s movement – on its axis.
- Earth’s movement – around the sun.
- Our solar system.
- The sun.
- The moon and its phases.
- Say and sing the French Alphabet
- Spell a word
- Spell out a name in French
Places in the locality
- Use letters and numbers to give coordinates
- Use multiples of 10 up to 60
- Recognise and say some places in the locality
Journey to school
- Follow simple directions
- Read and understand a short description of a journey
- Build sentences and phrases of making a journey to school
- Understand and give simple directions
Unit 1: The Indus
- Indus Valley civilisation
- What do artefacts tell us of life in Mohenjo-Daro?
- Everyday life
- Trade and transport
- Seals and script
- Decline of the Indus
- What can we learn from the Indus?
Unit 2: The Tudors
- Henry VII – the War of the Roses
- Henry VIII – 6 wives and the split from the Catholic Church
- Edward VI, Lady Jane Grey and Mary I
- Elizabeth I
- Battles and adventures at sea
- The Tudor explorers:
- Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armada
- Sir Walter Raleigh
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Everyday life
- The Court
Unit 3: The Aztecs
- The Empire of the Aztecs
- Aztec people
- Island city
- Aztec technology
- Aztec houses
- Religion and sacrifice
- Food and farming
- Clothes and craft
- Writing and counting
- The encounter
- The fall of Tenochtitlan
- The end of the Aztecs
Location knowledge and geographical skills
Biomes and vegetation belts
- Temperate deciduous forest
Human and physical geography
- British Isles
- Kensuke’s Kingdom
- Katushuika Hokusai’s – “The great wave off Kanagwa”