Take a look at our Year 6 curriculum:
Numbers and place value
- Place Value and Comparing
- Ordering and Rounding
- Addition of numbers up to 5 digits
- Subtraction of numbers up to 4 digits
- Multiplication of numbers up to a 3 digit number by a 2 digit number
- Doubling and halving and multiplying a 4 digit number by a single digit
- Division of a 4 digit number by a single digit
- Division of an up to 4 digit number by a 2 digit number
- Square, triangular and negative numbers
- Multiples and factors
Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Equivalence, comparing and ordering
- Decimals –place value, sequencing, comparing, ordering and rounding
- Decimals – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Percentages – expression of a fraction as a percentage and finding a percentage of a quantity
Unit 1 – Call of the Wild – Breaking out the Sled (Literature)
Unit 2 – Adrian Mole’s Diary – Indecision (Literature)
Unit 3 – The Crimean War 1 – The Charge of the Light Brigade (History)
Unit 4 – The Crimean War 2 – The Charge of the Light Brigade (Poetry)
Unit 5 – Roald Dahl – Boy (Literature)
Unit 6 – Witches – The Witches’ Spell (Literature)
Unit 7 – Shakespeare’s World – All the World’s a Stage (Literature)
Unit 8 – News Reports – Man Utd vs Liverpool (Report)
Unit 9 – Personification in Poetry – Silver (Poetry)
Unit 10 – Reports – Cornwall’s Coast and Moorland (Report)
Unit 11 – A Christmas Carol – Tight-fisted Scrooge (Literature)
Unit 12 – Carols and Prayers – Good King Wenceslas (Poetry)
Two units are covered each term, not necessarily in the given order.
Unit 1 – Humans and animals
- The Circulatory System.
- The Respiratory System.
- The Nervous System.
- The Digestive System.
- Health of body and Organ Systems.
Unit 2 – Food chains
- Plants, Predator and Prey.
- Rainforest food chains.
- Ocean food chains.
- Savanna Food chains.
- Predator and prey adaptations.
- Food webs.
- Investigating local habitats and food chains.
Unit 3 – Caring for the environment
- The problem with waste.
- Water Pollution and Air Pollution.
- Climate change.
- Managing Waste.
- Energy – Uses and Sources.
- Saving Energy.
- Protecting Habitats.
Unit 4 – Material Changes
- Changing states of Matter.
- Reversible and Irreversible Changes.
- Reversible changes – Melting and Freezing, Evaporation and Condensation
- Irreversible changes – Burning, rusting.
- Changes in cooking.
- Mixing solids.
- Mixing solids and liquids.
- Separating Mixtures.
- Growing Crystals.
Unit 5 – Forces and Motion
- Measuring Forces.
- Mass and Weight.
- Force diagrams.
- Balanced and unbalanced forces.
- Simple machines – Lever, Inclined Planes, Wheel and axle, Gears.
- Air resistance.
Unit 6 – Electricity
- Electrical current.
- Conductors and insulators.
- Flow of electric current.
- Parallel Circuits.
- À quelle heure? (What is the time?)
- Bonjour! (Hello!)
- Quel age as-tu? (How old are you?)
- Joyeux anniversaire! (Happy birthday!)
- Dans mon sac… (In my bag…)
- The Georgian Kings
- Industrial Revolution
- Agricultural Reforms
- Crime and Punishment
- Clothing and Accessories
- Water cycle
- Drainage systems in the school locality
- Regional drainage
- Physical features
- Human activities
- Erosion and siltation
History of Art
- Famous artists
- Da Vinci
- The Renaissance
- Painting (The Sistine Chapel, Raphael’s Cherubs)
- Sculpture (The David)
- Sketching (Da Vinci’s sketches)
Unit 1: Coding with Scratch
- Control Structures
- if-then-else statements
- sentinel loops
- Variables and values
- Performing calculations
- User input
- keyboard input
- mouse input
- Collision detection
- Broadcast and receive
Unit 2: Exploring Databases
- Using Microsoft Access
- Adding and deleting records
- Searching and sorting databases
- Interpreting results
Unit 3: Exploring Programming and Design
- Planning algorithms using flowcharts
- Turtle graphics
- Using computers and technology responsibly
- Using PC and network file systems
- Saving and opening files
- Creating and using directory structures
- Typing and mouse control
- Taking Part – Team-building and leadership
- Choices – Risks to health
- Animals and Us – Science ethics
- People who Help Us – civil servants