Take a look at our Year 1 curriculum:
Number and place values
- Numbers to 10
- Numbers to 20
- Numbers to 40
- Numbers to 100
- Addition and subtraction within 20
- Multiplication and division
- Making halves and quarters
- Sharing and grouping
- Length and height
- Volume and capacity
- Shapes and patterns
- Write a full sentence and check it independently.
- Discuss a variety of stories in depth and act them out
- Re-write/imitate, a well-known story.
- Extend sentences to include WOW words.
- Compare, contrast and predict story themes.
- Give opinions on stories.
- Change/innovate a well-known story.
- Retell a story using different props and story mapping ideas.
- Write/imagine a simple story.
- Write a variety of non-fiction texts – a recount, a list, an invitation, a card
- Recite, perform and re-write poems.
- Read, follow and write simple instructions.
- Use a dictionary.
- Ask and write questions.
- Talk about Information books and help to create a class book.
- Compare different poems and rhymes.
- Extend a written recount, a simple poem and a letter.
- Secure knowledge of all single sounds
- Read and write CVC words independently
- Introduce double sounds: ll, ss, zz ff, qu, ck and th, sh and ch for use in reading and writing
- Blending-squeezing sounds to read
- Segmenting-stretching sounds to spell
- Introduce the next set of digraphs-double sounds for reading and writing
- Secure knowledge of digraphs learnt and use in CVCC and CCVC words (C-consonant, V-vowel)
- Read on sight ‘Tricky Words’ according to the UK National Curriculum – (Phase 2 and 3)
- Read on sight ‘High Frequency Words’ according to the UK National Curriculum – (Phase 2 and 3)
Unit 1 – Ourselves
- All about me.
- Similarities and Differences.
- Compare sizes – height, hands, head.
- The five senses – Sight, Smell, Taste, Touch and Hearing.
Unit 2 – Living and Growing
- Alive or never been alive.
- Places to live.
- Life cycle of a frog.
- Growing up.
- Food groups.
- Water Diary.
- Tooth Decay.
Unit 3 – Plants
- Alive or never Alive.
- Different Plants.
- Parts of a plant.
- Parts of a plant we eat.
- Plant detectives.
Unit 4 – Material Properties
- What are Materials?
- Metal, Plastic, Fabric, Wood, Glass.
- Properties of Fabric.
- Uses of Fabric.
Unit 5 – Forces
- How do things move?
- Push or Pull.
- Making things move.
- Changing Direction.
Unit 6 – Sound
- Sound all around.
- Sound Board.
- What can you hear?
- Looking after your ears.
- Helping us to hear.
- Revision of colours and numbers
- Pets and farm animals
- Homes – old and new
- Toys – old and new
- The history of flight
- Around our school and maps
- Around the world
- Drawing by combing line and then shape.
- Painting and mixing colours to make new colours.
- Cutting, sticking and sculpting with clay.
Unit 1: Starting Text
- Using Microsoft Word
- Selecting and inserting images
- Cut and paste
- Setting font, size and colour
- Writing a story and a letter
Unit 2: Starting Images
- Use simple shapes and lines to create pictures or patterns
- Edit pictures using visual effects
- Add details to an existing picture, using straight lines or geometric shapes
- Copy or delete a character or object
- Use ‘save as’ to store edited pictures
Unit 3: Coding
- Directing characters to move over a course
- Being special
- Keeping myself safe
- My class, my school